Monday, January 24, 2011

There Will Be Sauce!


Yes, it's that time again - the season when a young man's fancy (or an old man's stomach) turns to chicken wings. Once again the Gentlemen of Excellence (GOE) will be consuming a staggering amount of chicken wings for charity (at Ruben James on Super Bowl Sunday). This year I will be joined by the most excellent Erik Esckilsen. My partner from last year, Andy Burkhardt, is taking the year off because either his tender young system can't handle the strain or because (in his words) the competition has become too commercial (much like Charlie Brown and Christmas). So, we've brought in the more experienced and evil Erik Esckilsen (shown here during bowling excellence). Our "competition" will once again be Cyndi Brandenburg, her long-suffering husband Bill (who nearly didn't survive last year's competition, but who has been dragooned into service again) and several of her children. Granted, she is clearly cheating, but Erik and I will take the moral high road and compete even though we are now grossly outnumbered. Cyndi's team, also known as the Guild of Calamitous Intent (GCI), will doubtless have to live down the shame of its perfidious acts. Erik and I will be eating for COTS, the local homeless shelter in Burlington. We raised around $1200 for them last year, and hope to eclipse that figure this year. If you're interested in supporting the GOE by pledging either a set amount or so much per wing consumed, drop me an email at scudder@champlain.edu.

4 comments:

Heidi Steiner said...

Thank you for not publicly blaming me, erroneously of course, for Andy's lack of participation.

Gary Scudder said...

Hardly. As we all know, you're the best part of Andy, and it's your strong and steady influence which makes him even partially and temporarily adult and responsible.

KBL said...

Good Lord, has it been a year since you did that? You crack me up.

Gary Scudder said...

Yeah, it's hard to believe a year has flown by again - and I'm sure it took every bit of the twelve months for my body to repair the damage I did to it last year. I suppose there's a certain logic to the words "chicken wing related tragedy" being featured in my eulogy.