Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Beautiful

Yesterday morning I was walking into breakfast here at the Staybridge when I just about bumped into an elderly Arabic man of uncertain nationality who was walking around with a little girl that I assume was his granddaughter. He smiles at me quite brilliantly and asks, "are you Saudi?" Now, I was just wearing a blue button-down shirt, jeans and sandals, so I didn't necessarily look the part. I was so taken back (and it rather difficult to silence me completely) that I just smiled back. He then said, "you are beautiful," before walking off happily with the little girl. Not since I was flying out of Mumbai and an Indian stewardess stopped me as I was boarding to plane to tell me that I was "so very handsome" have I been so certain that I had entered another dimension. Or it could just be a case where my hearing is even worse than I think. Who knows what he actually said or what he actually meant to say. Maybe the best answer is the one my great friend Andy proposed - that he actually said, "you are juvenile." My perceptive, and obviously kind, friend Cinse said that maybe he just saw some essential goodness in my nature and was recognizing that. I like that answer, although whenever I think of someone seeing the true me I imagine it ending up like the devils in the coffee shop complaining about Frank Black seeing their true essence in the "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me" episode of Millennium.

No comments: