Saturday, January 17, 2015

Castle of Sao Jorge

I'm not quite certain why Portugal has been running through my mind so much lately, beyond the fact that it was a remarkably cool, albeit way too brief, trip.  I suspect it is because I was so happy, although my life was, per usual, in a state of chaotic flux - reflecting back on the previous post, I was the master of neither (nor any) world.  One of the highlights of the stopover in Lisbon was visiting the Castle of Sao Jorge, an old Moorish castle, which resides on the hill overlooking the harbor, so the views, not surprisingly, are extraordinary.  It was also a magnificently rainy and windswept day, and how I avoided being blown off the castle walls is beyond me.  After months of searing dry heat in Abu Dhabi I think I was drinking up the rain both figuratively and literally. 

The castle has been built and rebuilt countless times, and apparently the first fortifications on the hill date back a couple thousand years - not surprising considering the strategic value of the post at Lisbon.

And you can imagine what this looked and felt like after months of blinding, dry artificiality in Abu Dhabi.

Occasional glimpses of the brilliantly painted buildings of Lisbon.  If you look hard enough you can see what you're looking for.

One of my favorite shots; the glorious green surviving amongst the battlements.

I kept expecting to run into Tyrion Lannister - now that would have been a conversation.

One of my many failings as a photographer - my fascination with doorways.  However, it may be one of my strengths as a person.

And the harbor in the distance.

No comments: