Sunday, February 1, 2015

Pajamas and/or Leisure Pants

Students are amazing little creatures, and despite my fierce reputation I find them fascinating and actually like them very much - and not simply because I believe so wholeheartedly in what we try to do in the classroom every day (although that helps).  On Tuesday one of my students wore pajamas to class, which is not totally unusual - although fairly rare for a 12:30 class, especially one taught in the depths of a particularly bitter Vermont winter.  Two days later he comes into the next meeting of the 12:30 wearing pajamas once more.  I, of course, take the opportunity to berate him comically for his choice of wardrobe: "Bloody hell, do you still have on the same pajamas?"  His response, delivered in a brilliantly understated fashion, was, "No, these are different pajamas," which is all you need to know of student logic (which isn't a totally oxymoronic concept).  I've since been informed that students like to refer to pajamas as leisure pants, which shows that are kids are not entirely bereft of imagination or humor.

I tend to now write down amazing/amusing/goofy student comments on the board and cite them, maybe hoping against hope that it will inspire them to include citations in their own papers.

No comments: