Sunday, April 12, 2015

Camping in the Wadi Rum

I wish I had more pictures of the Wadi Rum, but, tragically and typically, the desert ate my camera.  I know people who routinely smash their phones, which I've managed to avoid, but I can never mock them because apparently I am really hard on cameras.  A couple years ago in the UAE I destroyed three cameras in the space of three months, each time in a different fashion (water, smashy-smashy and sand in the aperture [which sounds like a Smiths song]).  I recreated the sand in the aperture misadventure this trip, so I have precious few pictures of the part of the trip that I was most excited about.  Oh well, I'll take more next time.

We stayed at a little campground run through Petra Moon Tourism, an organization that I can not speak too highly of (definitely look them up if you're considering visiting Jordan - or drop me a line and I'll pass along their contact information).  

Leaving the road behind and heading out into the Wadi Rum proper.

Our little huts.  The students slept two to a tent, except for the two students who slept out under the stars.  The professors had tents all to themselves.  Well, Cyndi did.  I ended up not sleeping in my tent, but that's another story.

All in all, pretty comfortable digs.  A couple of the students were cold.  I wish I had told them that the desert is very cold at night - oh, wait, I did - a dozen times!

There was also a much bigger communal tent where we gathered for meals.  Here are Andy and Cyndi scarfing down a quick lunch before we headed out for a jeep tour.  This is the tent where I ended up sleeping, and I'll get around to that story soon.

No comments: