Thursday, April 6, 2017

Return to Zanzibar

It's hard to believe, but I'm prepping for another trip to Zanzibar.  My excellent friend Steve Wehmeyer and I are teaching an expanded, year-long interdisciplinary course next year, combining my Aesthetic Expressions in the fall with his Sacred & the Secular in the spring.  It will include a two-week travel component over winter break, allowing us to bring material from two courses into the experience.  We've never tackled anything this ambitious at Champlain before, so Steve and I are heading back to Zanzibar next month to explore more options to make the trip even richer for the students.  I guess this all means that when we're back there next winter it will be Steve's third trip and my fourth (and I will have spent five weeks of my life bumming around Zanzibar), which hardly seems possible.  One of today's chores: send off the paperwork for another Tanzanian visa, which is never that onerous but I hate to have my passport out of my possession.

On the way to Prison Island, which is much nicer than it sounds.

No comments: