Saturday, July 14, 2018

Discography Year Two - Week 45

I'll apologize in advance for the short and uninspired opening (as compared to my weekly lengthy and intensely uninspired opening) this week. I'm way late getting the blog up and running today because I've been running around pestering people for donations for the Zanzibar computer project.  Three amazing students - Anna Matich, Abbey Barr, and Jackie Noborikawa - collected the computers and arranged financing for solar panels and generators, which left Wehmeyer and I to lean on people.  As you know, I'm a timid soul by nature so I'm trying on this more outspoken, pushy personality for size.

Oh, and we're coming up on to another theme week, probably our last one of year two (although it's hard to say, life is unpredictable for those living under the Scudderite junta).  This is provided by the consistently excellent Phil Seiler, who is at this moment living the sweet - although also bittersweet - life in Hawaii:

"So here is the link to the article that was kicking around last summer:

I wish the list existed as one page rather than 15 pages of 10 each but welcome to the monetized future where even with public resources we cannot have nice things. 

In any case, the challenge of this theme week is to find a song from the album that did not make this list that is a tragedy of epic proportions. As but one example, (And I really should re-verify this list to confirm) but my recollection is not a single album by Suzanne Vega made this list which considering how pivotal she was to the neo-folk movement, is disappointing.

So that's my proposal. Do with it what ye may."


Dave Wallace

Linda Ronstadt - Long, Long Time

As I was preparing for next week's theme selection, I saw that a Linda Ronstadt album made the Top 150 list.  In general, I'm not a huge Ronstadt.  She has a wonderful voice, but I don't find her to be a very creative song interpreter.  With that said, I love her version of Long, Long Time.  Just a great, great performance, and the longing in her voice is devastating.


Kevin Andrews

After spending the week writing next week’s entry I’m left with a last-minute-pull-it-out-of-the-air submission. Fortunately, that time included thinking about 150 of the so called greatest albums made by women ever, EVER. This is from #65.

Many years ago while listening to VPR’s Jazz show I heard a cover of a Robert Johnson song that blew me away. You may remember the story of Mr. Johnson selling his soul at the crossroads in exchange for his guitar talents, seems like a fair trade to me. He left us with some iconic songs, this one has been covered by Eric Clapton and David Bromberg at least. Cassandra Wilson’s version of Come On In My Kitchen is the return on Mr. Johnson’s investment where he gets his soul back. Apparently it's not a great as #64 Spice Girls. Hope you enjoy. 


Dave Kelley

"Madman Across the Water"  Elton John

In honor, or more precisely in dishonor, of our own madman who is currently across the water, my selection this week is one of my favorite Elton John songs.  Unlike some of his bigger hits, this one is not overplayed, and I have not gotten burnt out on it like "Candle in the Wind."  I always have had a soft spot for 70's soft rock so this tune is right in my comfort zone.  It is just one of those songs that transports me back to happier and simpler times.


Gary Scudder

Edith Piaf, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien

OK, I don't know how a person who is an unrepentant film whore (and especially foreign film whore) took so long to watch La Vie En Rose. Obviously, the title song itself, La Vie En Rose is utterly brilliant and inspiring and heartbreaking (even if you speak around two words of French) but I chose Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien. If you, like some fool, hasn't watched the film definitely check it out.  It's not completely true to her life; the film dodged the controversy around her time in Paris during World War II by just having her elsewhere, but it touches upon most of the points that make her life seem like that of a Dickensian character: abandoned, growing up in a brothel, working in a travelling small circus, singing on the street for change, drinking and addiction, being in love with a married boxing champion that ended when he died in a plane crash, etc. Getting back to French or lack thereof, it is amazing how you can not understand a word of the language spoken in a song but not only love the song, but somehow feel utterly connected to it; it's like the first time you listen to the Buena Vista Social Club.


No comments: