Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Ceilings, Real and Imposed

In Denys Arcand's brilliant film The Barbarian Invasions one of the older female characters says that she's sworn off affairs because, among other reasons, she's stared at enough hotel ceilings. It's a great line, and also one that works on the literal and metaphoric levels I don't know if I've reached that point in my life's journey, but for some reason that line came to me as I was sorting pictures the other day. Often the ceilings are there whether we want them to be or not, but all too often we impose our own ceilings.  This is a shot that I snapped from my bed in the Karibu Inn in Stone Town.  It looks like some sort of spectral octopus haunting my dreams, but it's actually simply the mosquito netting.

I guess it's a testament that you've probably traveled too much when pictures like this don't seem strange, but instead make you homesick for getting out on the road again.

No comments: