Monday, May 9, 2022

Hanafuda

 So many rabbit holes, so little time. My fascination (thanks to the Criterion Channel) with Japanese film noir has not only led to a junior-level class that I'll be teaching next fall but also to a series of games based on the handfuda deck. I was telling Janet about Mirahiro Shinoda's great 1964 film Pale Flower, starring Ryo Ikebe and Mariko Kaga in iconic roles. This led to a screening and a tumble down a rabbit hole to figure out the gambling game played by the yakuza in the film. This led to to the handfuda deck - and the many different games that you can play with the deck (although we still haven't sorted out the actual gambling game they play in the movie) - and the purchase of several different hanafuda decks. Apparently I've found a good partner for rabbit hole spelunking. 


Pale Flower is highly recommended! It will be featured prominently in next fall's class.

Our initial hanafuda deck, which we tracked down, like everything in the universe, on Amazon. This also included the purchase of a couple supplemental books as we try and figure out what the hell is going on with hanafuda. Koi koi!!

I think this has turned out to be our favorite hanafuda desk (although, as a purist in all things, I have an affection for the original one).

I mean, with the exception of the extra symbols that would allow you to use the deck in a "regular" card game (again, as a purist I disapprove), how could you not love these cards? The Japanese love their supernatural.



No comments: