Sunday, July 31, 2022

Meditations #36

 Are you distracted by outward cares? Then allow yourself a space of quiet, wherein you can add to your knowledge of the Good and learn to curb your restlessness. Guard also against another kind of error: the folly of those who weary their days in much business, but lack any aim on which their whole effort, nay, their whole thought, is focused.

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book Two


As I continue to settle into our life here at the cabin this also seems like a natural fit. I didn't consciously decide to retreat from the world and look for a retreat like this cabin here in the woods, but it does seem to fit my current emotional state. As MA reminds us, like attracts like. It also, in a way, reminds me of the book I just finished, Fernando Pessoa's The Book of Quiet, which I'll have a lot to say about, I suspect. It moved me more than any book I can think of in a while.



No comments: