Sunday, October 23, 2022

O Grito Do Moloch

 As part of my quest to learn Portuguese (and, as we know, I suck at languages) I'm taking a number of approaches. First off, obviously, I'm working on Duolingo, and as of this morning I think at 218 straight days. I tend to make fun of Duolingo, but they must be doing something right if I manage to jump in and knock off several lessons every morning. And, while I grouse about my utter ignorance of Portuguese, I do feel I'm learning. I also started trying to translate, sentence by sentence (one a day), a Portuguese translation of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (figuring that I've read it so many times in English that it would help the process), but the sentence structure is simply way too advanced for me. So, instead, I just started working on a Portuguese language version of the Adventures of Blake & Mortimer, in this case O Grito Do Moloch (The Cry of the Moloch). My friend Kerry recently proposed, what my other friends who learned languages have proposed, that I start with young adult fiction and work my way up. And so the adventure begins.

Actually, I'm looking forward to this. I checked on Amazon if I could find other Portuguese language versions in the series but they were all $71 (WTF?). I'll pick some more up this summer when I'm back in Portugal (if I'm not back there sooner).



No comments: