Sunday, January 1, 2023

Spiritualized Into Night

 Interlude

"This dreadful hour when I shrink to being possible or rise to mortality.

If only the morning wouldn't dawn. If only I and this alcove and its interior atmosphere where I belong could all be spiritualized into Night, absolutized into Darkness, so that not so much as a shadow of me would remain that would taint, with my memory, whatever lived on."

Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet, ch. 185


I've sometimes proposed that Neil Young is the rock artist of the liminal space. By that I mean that so many of his best songs dwell in that space in between worlds ("There is a town in north Ontario, with dreams, comfort, memory, despair"). I guess I would make the same argument in regards to Pessoa.  So much of his work exists in between the internal and external worlds, between beauty and ugliness, between the sacred and the profane. Of course, this means I need to turn the lens back on myself and reflect upon why I'm drawn to artists like that. Or maybe the argument is not that specific - maybe all artists dwell in their own liminal spaces?


No comments: