Wednesday, September 4, 2024

The Devil's Own Language

Anyone who knows me is well aware of a couple things: I'm task-oriented and stubborn in my pursuit of said tasks. Today I marked my 900th straight day of Duolingo. Essentially, at this point I've finished their course on Portuguese, which was always of relatively iffy value because it's Brazilian and not Portuguese Portuguese. Most language programs follow this path, which, I guess if you consider the question mathematically, makes sense, as there are 215 million Brazilians and only 10 million Portuguese. Of course, there are many similarities, although they sound dramatically different. Still, I suppose I've learned a ton of words from the Duolingo site, so, even though I've technically completed their course and I'm just doing refresher lessons, I suppose it doesn't hurt me too much. I was tinkering around with Italian for a while, in preparation for our upcoming trip to Venice, but I think my brain (and my dreadful language skills) were not going to allow me to do anything else other than confuse myself by trying to learn a bit of both. I devote most of my time to Pimsleur, which has sixty total lessons for Iberian Portuguese. Once I blow through that I'm going to start an online course.

At this point I'm mainly just being stubborn.



No comments: