Friday, June 20, 2008

Favorite Moments: A Close Shave in Madaba


Writing this blog has actually been a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and I almost wish I could go back and talk about some of the travels that I took before we set it up. And, to think, I had no interest in writing it until Sarah Cohen pestered me into it. Although, to be fair, I've been writing in my actual physical journal that my sister Beth bought me for a few years and I've always enjoyed that. Anyway, I thought I might occasionally think back on some of my earlier experiences (which maybe runs counter to the point of a blog in the first place . . .).


Here's a picture that my friend Bob Mayer took in Madaba, Jordan in April 2007. I've been fortunate to visit Jordan several times and I really love it there. Madaba is a short trip from Amman - Bob and I went there on a bizarre taxi/van that cost about one JD (Jordanian dinar - about $1.30). It's an interesting place, especially if you love mosaics. One of the first maps of the Middle East can be found in mosaic form on the floor of a church there. Bob and I also had a great meal there - just the olives, bread and hummus alone would have sufficed. What I remember, however, about this particular trip was getting a shave from a local barber. It cost 1 JD and the guy did a pretty good job, although the water was pretty cold. A local kid kept popping in to check on us and eventually brought us coffee.

No comments: