Friday, June 20, 2008

Favorite Moments: Paris Catacombs







OK, where to being with Paris? I know we're supposed to not like the French, but I love them. For all the reputation of them not being friendly (which is actually OK with me because, to paraphrase the Smiths, my entire life is in ruins because of people who are nice) I've actually found them to be very warm and helpful and, yes, friendly. Now getting through Charles de Gaulle airport will drive anyone to drink, but that's another story - and even that is a worthy trade-off if it means you get to go to Paris. I could fill up pages on Paris, and I've just scratched the surface there. Today, however, for some reason, I've been thinking about the Paris catacombs. Paris, being a very old city, was both running out of cemetary room and also in need of an overhaul. So, beginning in the late 18th century many of the older cemetaries were moved with the bones going into the catacombs. Of course, you can visit the catacombs and it's a great way to spend a cloudy day, which seems to add to the mood. You end up with miles of bone-lined pathways, which would be creepy enough but it's pushed over the edge because of the creative/sardonic use of the bones to create patterns. A definite must-see when in Paris.