Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay




One of my favorite memories of Alexandria was walking out to the far end of the corinche by the Qaitbey Fortress on Friday 4 July. I didn't end up going into the fortress itself because, one, I've seen lots of fortresses, but also, secondly, because as soon as I got there a big busload of Americans came up. Instead, I just sat out on the dock for around an hour and watched the families walking by and especially the fishermen. There was one guy there in a blue policeman-like uniform who was in a constant argument with the fishermen - I suspect he would have had more influence if he had not been in his stocking feet. Later I went over and got an ice cream cone and a bottle of water - the shop-keeper made sure that I got the coldest water possible. A little kid asked me where I was from and seemed generally happy that I was from the US. It's amazing what a few shukrons, salaams and insh'allahs can do to spread good cheer. I just sat there for an hour and no one bothered me and I was quite content - I probaby would have stayed longer except that it was brutally hot (although the breeze helped a lot).

No comments: