Friday, August 29, 2008

Reflections on Things at Hand: India


It occurred to me that I don't really have any pictures of India on this blog (mainly because I started it since my last trip there). That's really a shame and I'll make an effort to get caught up. Of all the places I've visited India is my favorite. Not only is it an absolute goldmine for a historian, but the people there are the kindest I've ever met. As a friend of mine said one time - travel to India ruins you for travelling to anyplace else in the world - what else can match it? I've been lucky enough to travel to India four times, including spending the entire summer of 2004 teaching at our Champlain College campus in Mumbai (which is still the greatest learning experience of my life). Here's a picture of me and a fine gentleman that I met on the streets of Mumbai on the last night before leaving to come back in August 2004. My good friend John Neelankiavil took the picture. We had just finished a going away dinner and we saw the elephant down the street. John and I ran like luatics across several lanes of traffic (never a good idea in India because they drive like lunatics) to catch up and grab a picture.

No comments: