Friday, August 14, 2009

Cupping




OK, so several weeks back I included a posting on the very cool and eclectic Nanluogo Xiang Street in Beijing, which is not that far from the Forbidden City. In passing I mentioned the story of my friend Craig who, unintentionally, ended up getting a cupping as part of a massage. Again, this is where, after a thorough skin scraping, heated glass bulbs are placed on the back, which, allegedly, helps to remove impurities. It is very popular. On a flight in western China I saw the tell-tale marks on the back of a stewardess. Anyway, I was sitting on a rooftop bar enjoying a Tsingtao Beer and french fries while Craig, Susyn and Kathy went over to the massage parlor. Craig stumbled back after his cupping, and I was finally able to track down a picture (thanks, Kathy). Notice the blissful picture of the man drinking Tsingtao Beer and eating fries and compare it with the horrible disfigurement of Turtle Boy. What can we learn from these pictures?

4 comments:

Cinse said...

Unintentional? Didn't the boy ever learn to just say "No!" Seriously it looks horrible, but I wonder if it really does do good things... One sure sign would be lots of runs to flush out toxins afterwards - similar to drinking too much beer. Maybe cup boy and beer man had the same post-experience. Grin.
Cinse

Lynette said...

Gee, I think I'd rather have the toxins...

KBL said...

There's just something very telling about your face in the first photo, juxtaposed with the cupping picture.

Lynette said...

g, When are you going to change this photo?