Thursday, September 9, 2010

Journey Through the Past: Amsterdam








So, I was always wondering why I got so many threatening messages from the Champlain College computer system in regards to what an absolute band-width pig (more on the appropriateness of this word later) I am. Granted, because of the Global Modules and the various administrative sides to my position - as well as a lot of class material and Powerpoints - I do have a lot of stuff stored on the college drive, but never as much as it seems would warrant my continual crimes against the college memory storage (and not even in a Proustian fashion). So, after scouting around, I found a wealth of old pictures that were hidden away within folders and subfolders. Actually, not only were they hidden away, they were completely forgotten. So, let me post some early (and rough) pictures of Amsterdam, that I thought were long lost. I think they were taken in 2002 or 2003, on the way back from either my first trip to Dubai (which I think is when they were taken, which would make this the fall of 2002) or my first trip to India (which I think would make this the early spring of 2003, and why can't I remember it?). Anyway, Amsterdam was the first city in Europe that I visited, and I liked it very much - maybe I'll post a story about fingernails tapping on a glass that I remember from Amsterdam soon (wow, I guess I really should edit these things in advance and not just type them as I go, because just mentioning the fingernails means that it was on the way back from India). Hmmm, although this might still be the fall of 2002 - I'll just have to ask my friend Michelle who has a great memory for these things. Oddly (or maybe not), the things that jumps out at me is how fat that guy in the wooden shoe is. OK, I've now determined that it was early spring 2003. I'll post more about the trip soon (as I try and jump-start my memory). I remember really liking Amsterdam quite a bit, and finding it not nearly as seedy as its sometimes portrayed.

No comments: