Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Moving Day



While I can't claim to be in the twlight of my youth (to borrow a line from Ryan Adams), I guess I'm not too old for new adventures - and the first step in this adventure was moving out of the Q. I can't believe how quickly the last year flew by, and Sunday brought an end to my time as faculty in residence at Quarry Hill. It actually was a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be, and I enjoyed spending time with the freshmen. While I'm not due to fly out to Abu Dhabi for a couple weeks (if it is ever organized, that is) I did have to be out of the Q by this last weekend. As always, the redoubtable Gentlemen of Excellence stepped up to help me move - thanks to Bob Mayer, Andy Burkhardt, Original Mike Lange, False Mike Kelly, Steve Wehmeyer and Craig Pepin. I had far more help than my motley collection of belongings called for, and I actually contacted folks and told them not to come, but they would not be deterred (which means they are either true friends or desperately wanted to get me out of the state). It took less than a half-hour to unload the apartment, with the exception of the hours that Mike Lange and I spent driving to Jericho (to unload boxes at Cyndi Brandenburg's house) and Wilder (to return things to my sister Lisa). I devoted a couple hours to finishing up on Sunday night, but now I'm out and on to new things. Next stop, sort of, Abu Dhabi. Oh, and the excellent Andy Burkhardt insisted that I entrust my 35 year old Fran Tarkenton jersey to him to root on the Vikings at our traditional Sundays at Ruben James. Hopefully he'll have better luck with it than I ever did.

No comments: