Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Breezes of Zanzibar


Sometimes it takes a while to come back from a holiday trip, and in some instances maybe you don't ever come back. I don't think I've quite reached the stage of the latter in regards to my recent trip to Zanzibar, but it has definitely been dominating my thoughts. Part of it relates to some great emails I've been swapping with my friend Trish, who should really recount some of your own Zanzibar stories in her cool blog, and my student Katie (although that mainly relates to her hectoring me for more pictures of tortoises). Some of my memories are related to very tangible objects, such as dolphins or monkeys or tortoises or the winding streets of Stone Town, but I also keep reflecting on more ethereal things like the gentle breezes that kept blowing in off the Indian Ocean. I couldn't quite get a picture of the wind itself, so here is a dhow riding the wind.

No comments: