Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Which One Is Slower?


For some reason I really like this picture, although I am in it – and I hate pictures of myself. However, I really seem to be enjoying myself. One of the tours you could take is out to Prison Island, which was never actually a prison, but instead a quarantine stop for ships coming into Stone Town in Zanzibar. Now it is mainly known as a sanctuary for giant tortoises. There are dozens of them, several of them over a hundred years old. My guide wanted me to actually ride the tortoise, but I explained that I probably weighed more than the tortoise and that it might be a bad idea. Several of them were much larger than this one. The bigger ones would groan mightily when they stood up, take four steps, and then just collapse. Oh, and they stunk to high heaven, mainly because they live off of a diet of rotten cabbage - and you haven’t really lived until you’ve experienced a giant tortoise breaking wind. My brother Eric thinks the guy on the right has a more sleek design.

3 comments:

KBL said...

I love this picture of you! It's fantastic. :)

Gary Scudder said...

I normally really hate pictures of myself, but this one did turn out pretty nice. Of course, when you're surrounding by hundred year old giant tortoises I guess it's easy to look young and vibrant by comparison.

KBL said...

Bahahahaha....can't argue with that logic. ;) It is wonderful photo, though - you look healthy and happy.