Friday, August 10, 2012

Songs: Tecumseh Valley

I am way too busy finishing up my global course redesign work and packing to leave Abu Dhabi to give this song and this songwriter the attention they so richly deserve, but I've been listening to the Rear View Mirror, a live album from Townes Van Zandt, for about a week straight and it refuses to be ignored.  Here's a link to the song Tecumseh Valley, which may be the saddest song ever written.  I came to Townes Van Zandt only recently, and as is so often the case it was because of a very strong endorsement from my best friend David Kelley from Cincinnati.  I don't have the time to go into the life story of Van Zandt, suffice it to say that it is every bit as sad as his songs.  Through it all - or maybe because of it - he was an extraordinary songwriter, and a poet in the purest sense.  Now, a good question is why am I so drawn to this song (beyond the obvious fact that it is beautifully written and performed)?  Part of it relates to the fact that in an age of surface level superficiality it is increasingly difficult to find anything that is authentic, and, like him or not, Townes Van Zandt is authentic.  In addition, I like it because, as I said, it's a really sad song, and I love really sad songs.  So, why?  That's a tough one, but I always have.  I'm sure that's what led me to my love of people like Neil Young and Lucinda Williams, who I still think are the greatest songwriters of the last half-century.  It's not because I need any more unhappiness in my life - I've had my share, thanks.  It could just be that I equate sadness with authenticity, with some profound and essential truth.  I've always joked with my students that I'm deeply mistrustful of happy people, although, in a way, I don't think it's really a joke.  Guess I need to ponder on this some more, and maybe this is a post that I'll revisit and expand in the future.  Now, back to writing and packing.  In the meantime, give a listen to Townes Van Zandt's Tecumseh Valley and let me know what you think.

No comments: