Friday, December 7, 2012

Portion Control

Doubtless, one of my biggest challenges in dieting is portion control (and, yes, I'm the person who ate 61 wings at the last chicken wings for charity event).  I tend to blame it on the fact that I must have been one of the initial leaders of the clean plate club - and that I was really worried because there were starving kids in India - and thus had to eat everything.  Or I could just be a pig.  However, it doesn't help when people go out of their way to give me extra - like those two Arab gentlemen in the buffet line during a desert safari on my trip to the UAE a decade ago who said, laughing, "you are a big man, I will give you more!!"  And the second guy, "I too will give him more!!!"  Or, there was also Adam, arguably the world's sweetest but also most perpetually confused waiter, who was working at the Dolphin Bay Resort in Zanzibar.  We had discussed the relative merits of the lunch choices, with my main concern being that I didn't want the sandwich buns that cracked (it was the off-season so the larder was pretty picked over).  In Adam's mind the obvious answer was to bring me both the pizza and the cheeseburger - or maybe he just, per usual, messed up the order.  Either way, I was not about to be defeated and ate both.

"I too will bring him more!!!"

No comments: