Saturday, March 23, 2013

I Think I Was in Australia

Just back from a whirlwind trip to Canberra, Australia to speak at the SAFFIRE Festival, an educational conference focusing on educational innovation and sustainability.  The good folks at the University of Canberra contacted me out of the blue and asked me to fly down and it was a wonderful experience.  It was only my second visit to Australia, having gone there for a couple days seven or eight years ago.  Back then I came back with the worst jet lag I've ever had, and I swore that I would never go back to Australia unless I was going for at least three weeks.  And, of course, I did go back, for essentially a four and a half day visit.  I couldn't be happier that I went.  I made some great new friends, saw some amazing things, and learned a lot (and may even have contributed a bit) at the conference.  Expect lots of posts.  To get me started, I was really struck, as I was last time, by the glaring similarities and subtle differences to life in the US.  I really like the Australians and, as I've said before, I'm sure there are unpleasant Australians, but they must keep them hidden away (essentially I think they just send them to the UAE, although even there I met some wonderful Aussies).  The trip was a blur and I can't believe that I'm back here in my little apartment in Winooski, after my Burlington-JFK-LA-Sydney-Canberra-Sydney-LA-JFK-Burlington odyssey.  Adding in the trip the week before to Abu Dhabi, and I think I covered about 7/8 of the globe in a week.

I guess you know that you're in Australia, or at least another member of the  British  empire (other than the US, obviously), when you come across cricket batting cages.

Or pick-up rugby games in the park.

No comments: