Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Kotor

This year's 4th of July adventure in Hong Kong got me thinking about last year's trip to Montenegro.  After my friend flew out I had the day to myself and also had the rental car for another day, so I figured that I would take advantage of the opportunity to drive into Montenegro.  When I had rented the car they told me that if I crossed the border I had to have all the paperwork to prove that the car was legally rented and not stolen, and since I had this it wasn't a problem.  The drive to Kotor was really beautiful as you maneuvered around the mountains and fjords.  The city was packed, not because of the holiday obviously, but rather because that is one of the destinations where cruise ships unload passengers (which is one of the few things that can make visiting Dubroknik, Croatia a bit of a hassle).  It was was blisteringly hot, but also a great day.

A fairly decent picture that gives a sense of how the mountains crowd the shore in Montenegro.  A little further down the dock there was a huge cruise ship unloading.

The central square in old Kotor.  Thank god for the umbrellas and misty fans because it was brutal.

A nice little clock tower giving way to a maze of old buildings and then eventually the mountains.

As is usual for me, I loved getting lost among the narrow streets. 

I would love to say that I was carrying out a close reading of the iconography, but mainly I think I was enjoying the shade.

No comments: