Monday, July 29, 2013

Streets of Sana'a

I don't know why I like this picture so much.  It's not particularly framed well and the lighting is bad, but I just do - and as Gombrich would have told us, that's all that really matters.  It just reminds me of the chaos of walking around Sana'a, Yemen.  I was showing my students a picture from Sana'a recently as we were discussing the nature of a portrait.  At a certain point one of the students asked, "Who did you go to Yemen with?"  I replied, "nobody."  Several of them had a very perplexed look on their faces.  Their next question: "Who met you at the airport?"  I replied again, "nobody."  For some reason they found the concept amazing, and it may be the only thing they remember from the entire summer.  Anyway, it's just a shot of the maze of ancient narrow streets in Sana'a, and the constant need to look around every corner before turning.  I suppose there's a metaphor here somewhere.

And to think, we get in trouble in Burlington if we don't walk our bikes on Church Street.

No comments: