Monday, June 27, 2016

Rewarding Emma

In an earlier post I recounted the adventure when I took my student Emma to Dr. Mehta's Hospital in Zanzibar to look after her scratched cornea.  While we discussed her general imbecility at length (and, truthfully, who changes their contacts at the beach?), I also have to admit that she was a good patient.  Consequently, to reward her for her heroism we decided to find someplace to grab a more substantial breakfast (and also because it was too late to track down the rest of the team who were on the other side of town).  This led us to the Africa House Hotel, which we stumbled into simply because it looked nice (and potentially cool, which was especially important as we broiled in the equatorial sun).  It was also the first time we met the esteemed Ali G.  He told us that since we weren't staying at the hotel and because it wasn't prime breakfast hours that he'd have to whip us up something special.  I figured this meant that it was going to be pretty expensive, but since we were already resting comfortably in the blessed shade I said yes (figuring that we'd find room in the budget somehow).  As it turns out the breakfast was both fantastic and also inexpensive.  We love Ali G.  It was the first of several visits to the Africa House, and I wish I were sitting there right now, kibitzing with Ali G, soaking in the beautiful view, and drinking an appropriate adult beverage.

The outside is impressive but fairly plain, but it is beautiful inside.  I'm hoping to stay there sometime and not just frequent its balcony bar.

The amazing Ali G on another visit when he had set us up a special front row table at a fashion show, to which the students didn't attend (reason enough to have failed them).

Emma looking more like a failed mixed martial arts fighter than a student, but she quickly mended.

The first course, and, truthfully, the fruit probably would have been enough.

And then the second course.  I think we charged us less than $10 a piece, if that much.  Again, we love Ali G.  If you're thinking of visiting Zanzibar I highly recommend the Africa House.

And the view.  It's Zanzibar.  Steve and I are actively planning our next student trip, when we're planning on staying longer.  Who leads a life wherein you can say things like, "On my third trip to Zanzibar."  I'm stupidly, illogically blessed.

No comments: