Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Passing of Time: Yas Island

I was talking to Bill, my best from college, a couple Saturdays ago when he suddenly said, "Hey, do you remember what you were doing 33 years ago today?"  Fortunately, I knew the answer: I was serving as his best man in his wedding to the excellent Kathy nee Valentine (still his wife even today, which is a credit to his good sense).  That said, it was definitely one of those moments when you become aware of how rapidly the years roll away.  With that in mind, I was goofing around on Google Earth the other day and figured out how to grab screen shots of images (yes, I'm just that technologically limited) and snagged a picture of Yas Island in the UAE.  It's difficult for me to process that it is coming up on five years ago that I moved there as part of my sabbatical at Zayed University, and consequently almost four years since I returned.  In some ways it seems like about six months ago, and in other ways it was a different life time.  It was definitely an odd place, but in a lot of different ways I was remarkably happy there.

And I never made it to Ferrari World, although I did go check out the Formula One race track several times.

No comments: