Monday, July 25, 2016

My Year With Proust - Day 209

   "'I'm furiously jealous,' Saint-Loup said to me, half laughing, half in earnest, alluding to the interminable conversations apart which I had been having with his friend.  'Is it because you find him more intelligent than me?  Do you like him better than me?  Ah, well, I suppose he's everything now, and no one else is to have a look in!' (Men who are enormously in love with a woman, who lives in a society of woman-lovers, allow themselves pleasantries which others, seeing less innocence in them, would never dare to contemplate.)"
Marcel Proust, The Guermantes Way, p. 118

In this short passage Robert is mock scolding his colleagues for paying more attention to Proust than they are paying to him.  I can't decide whether Proust is just trying to be ironic here - or who is more in denial, Proust or Robert?

No comments: