Sunday, August 14, 2016

Quitters Coffee

On my recent trip to the Midwest, which I had not discussed on the blog because part of the trip focused on surprising my friend Andy (with the assistance of his excellent wife Heidi) in Ann Arbor, I had several cool mini-adventures.  As a quick aside, it occurred to me that during my life I've been fortunate enough to have seen and done a lot of cool things, and while some of it is just plain dumb luck, part of it also relates to putting myself in a position to see and do cool things.  I guess I'm a believer that life perpetually offers you a series of yes and no options, and that almost invariably the only appropriate answer is yes.

OK, after that dorm room poster level reflection, let me tell you about my trip to Quitters Coffee in Stittsville, a suburb of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  First off, I have to tell you that I'm a huge fan of the Canadian singer/songwriter Kathleen Edwards (and all of her albums are required purchases for all right-thinking individuals).  A couple years ago, for a number of personal and professional reasons, she decided to quit the music industry.  She told some friends that she was sick of recording and touring and that since she had been really happy as a barista she was going to quit and open a coffee shop.  Of course, her friends told her that she was not actually going to quit and open a coffee shop.  So, naturally, she quit and opened a coffee shop, Quitters Coffee in Stittsville.  I know this because I follow her on Twitter (@kittythefool - by the way, she is not on as much as she used to be, but she is wonderfully and inappropriately funny on Twitter) and also, eventually, I began to follow Quitters Coffee on Twitter (@QuittersCoffee).  Now, I don't think anyone really thinks she'll quit forever - she's just too good - so I think most folks thought (hoped) it was just a much needed break.

On my trip to the Midwest I surreptitiously made my way up to Michigan to surprise Andy (more on this later), and decided, logically, actually, to return to Vermont via Canada.  Before leaving on the trip I had told a couple of my friends that I might drive across Canada on the way back, and that if I did I'd stop in Ottawa to see Kathleen Edwards.  I think the most common response was "ass clown," but my friends also know that once I get something in my head it seldom goes away (it is seldom an Empty Threat [shameless Kathleen Edwards song reference]).  Anyway, I was heading east on the Trans-Canada Highway (which, by the way, you'd think the main route between Toronto and Ottawa would warrant more than a two lane road through blueberry bogs, but this is why we love Canada).  I knew that I could pick up the Canadian equivalent of an interstate at Ottawa and take it to Montreal.  As I approached Ottawa I'm looking for the appropriate road signs when the first Ottawa exit I come to is for Stittsville, and my immediate thought was "wait, I think Quitters Coffee is in Stittsville," so I spontaneously just took the exit.  It ended up dumping me into a series of strip malls and I remember thinking, "you know, idiot, you might have actually written down the address," although, to be fair, I didn't really think I would try and stop by. While I was sitting at a stoplight I looked up and saw a sign that said Main Street Stittsville, and I figured that a good coffee shop would probably be on Main Street so I randomly took a right.  And then I drove a couple miles and began to realize that maybe I would never actually find the coffee shop on Main Street because, well, maybe it wasn't on Main Street.  I'm sitting at another stop light thinking about abandoning this fool's venture and heading out of town when I looked to my left and saw the sign for Quitters Coffee.

After parking I walked into the coffee shop, mainly intent on grabbing a quick bite and buying some t-shirts if they had any (which, fortunately, they did).  I'm placing my order (a latte and a smoked meat sandwich because, well, it is Canada) and talking to the two nice young ladies up front when a woman walks in from the back, hugs one of the girls in one of those "I'm the boss and you're doing a good job" type huge, and turns around - and it's Kathleen Edwards, just looking like any other coffee shop owner carrying on business.  I finish ordering and go grab a table, and am looking down at my phone as I try and hook up to the shop's wifi when suddenly I hear, "Gary."  I look up, and it's Kathleen Edwards bringing me my sandwich.  There's a pause, and then I blurt out, "I'm sorry, I know you must hear this all the time, but I'm a huge fan and I really appreciate all your albums which have meant so much to me over the years - and this is a great coffee shop."  Now, at that point she should have done the only logical thing: back away towards the door without losing eye contact.  Instead, she just stood there and chatted for a few minutes.  She could not have been nicer.  When she found out I was heading back to Burlington she told me how much she liked it there and loved playing at Higher Ground and how she always stocked up at the wine and cheese shop next door.  At the end she shook my hand and thanked me for coming in.  As I was checking out I heard her raising her voice back in the kitchen (truthfully, it sounded more for comic effect).  I turned to the girl and asked, "Does she yell much?," and the she smiled and said, "Oh yeah.", which actually made the experience even better.

I've included some pictures below, but you're probably wondering why I didn't include a picture of her.  Well, I never asked for a picture.  Partially it's because it's my natural resistance to bothering people, and, well, I know what she looks like and I know I was there, so I don't think I need a picture.  However, it also seemed an affront to her reason for opening the coffee shop in the first place.  It seems to me that one of the reasons why she created Quitters Coffee was to lead something akin to a normal life, which in my mind does not include people stopping by to snap your photo.  I remember seeing her on, I think, Austin City Limits years ago and at the end she said she wanted a career like Neil Young's because he always recorded what he wanted to record and did what he wanted to do.  I've always felt that one of the reasons (beyond his own talent and drive) he could do this was because decades ago he bought a ranch in southern California and never really led the life of a celebrity, and this kept him grounded; and finally it also meant that he had the freedom to do what he wanted.  Edwards might very well disagree with me (and, Kathleen, if you need someone to talk to my email address is scudder@champlain.edu . . .) but on my continued drive across Canada it occurred to me that she was doing something very similar in opening up her coffee shop.  She's attempting to lead a grounded, sane life and also provide a little financial security in her life, which in turn will allow her to follow her muse with fewer distractions.

I see where she's starting to play on some local venues and small festivals, so her self-imposed exile is probably coming to a close, but I hope she keeps her coffee shop.



The inside of Quitters Coffee, which is what it should be but maybe not what you'd expect: a great little coffee shop with fantastic food and service.  What I mean by that is that it's not a mechanism to feature Kathleen Edwards.  So, they apparently don't have open mike nights or manufactured opportunities for her to sing, but I guess they have a pretty competitive quiz night.

One of several t-shirts I picked up while there.  There are no Kathleen Edwards t-shirts there or Kathleen Edwards posters on the wall.  Instead, it's a coffee shop run by a woman who clearly, and sensibly, wants to live a sane life.

My excellent friend Cyndi Brandenburg who sort of won this Quitters Coffee t-shirt from me at bocce, which is appropriate because she's a big Kathleen Edwards fan (and also because she's insanely competitive with me, as little sisters are with their older brothers).

Some essential Kathleen Edwards songs (in no particular order).  I do think she's an amazing songwriter and, seriously, could end up being this generation's Lucinda Williams, a compliment I would not throw around haphazardly.  Of course, she could also be a successful coffee shop owner and occasional performer and most importantly a happy person, and that would be a sweet life.

Pink Emerson Radio, Album: Back to Me (2005)

Goodnight, California, Album: Asking for Flowers (2008)

12 Bellevue, Album: Failer (2003)

Change the Sheets, Album: Voyageur (2012)

Copied Keys, Album: Back to Me (2005)

Summerlong, Album: Back to Me (2005)

Scared at Night, Album: Asking for Flowers (2008)

A Soft Place to Land, Album: Voyageur (2012)

Sweet Lil' Duck, Album: Failer (2003)

Independent Thief, Album: Back to Me (2005)

Mercury, Album: Failer (2003)

Asking for Flowers, Album: Asking for Flowers (2008)

For the Record, Album: Voyageur (2012)

Now, go buy all these albums!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sending this link, Scudder! (I hope you don't mind my calling you 'Scudder', I'm just copying everyone else until I figure out another suitably original nickname for you myself)

Quitters is alive and well, and I've decided to go there more often. It's a bit far for my liking, as I'm already in the car so much during the week, but the vibe is PERFECT in every way. Frankly, even the name of the town is giddily pleasing. I love anything with 'ville' at the end. I owe you one for being obsessed enough with Kathleen Edwards to find it. I adore her, too. You forgot the song "Hockey Skates" on your (very good) list...albeit best for depressed days, but still.

Your encounter with Her Badassness Kathleen Edwards sounds a bit like my first encounter with poet Mary Oliver. I saw her in the cereal aisle at a Stop and Shop in Provincetown, Massachusetts sometime during 2005. I hid. Eventually, thank goodness, I pulled myself together and went to say hello. I'm sure I said many other things, too, as I tend to prattle on when I want to make new friends and feel that very special combination of excited and nervous.

Anyway, as I said, I plan to go to Quitters more often, so I'll keep an eye out for Edwards and tell her you say hello. ;)

Unknown said...

Possible nicknames I've mulled over in the last 5 minutes (and then I REALLY have to get back to grading papers):

"Pops": I think that's my favorite as it's what Billie Holiday called Louis Armstrong, which, though I don't know you well yet, I feel as though I do somehow, and given our colleague relationship (you: very skilled and...seasoned...?, and I: very green with an often distinctively loud voice), it seems apt.

"Sachmo" (Louis Armstrong's more common nickname) is also a possibility, but seems too easy and a little boring.

"Prez" (my favorite saxophone player -- Lester Young's--nick name) seems pretty good too, but perhaps anything connected to any kind of president has a negative connotation these days.

"Cannonball" (my second favorite saxophone player -- Adderley's -- nickname. That's almost as good as Pops, particularly if you want to sound more badass.

"Gum Drop": I've always wanted to call someone that.

Thoughts?