Friday, August 4, 2017

Kusinga rugaba, kusinga wombecha

I've made this point many times, but it still astonishes me when I stop and think about how many great friends I have.  I just made it back from a few days in Sunapee, New Hampshire where my wonderful friends Kathy and Phil Seiler had rented a house for the week.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be a logistically tricky time of the season so a couple folks had to bail at the last moment, but we still enjoyed the convivial excellence of the Seilers, Kerry Noonan, and the vast majority of the Brandenburg-Vespa clan.  There was swimming and kayaking (apparently designed to irreparably destroy what's left of my shoulder), board games, and tons of great food.  All of that paled in comparison to the wonderful friendship.  The competition was dominated by the young Joey, who won most of the board games while simultaneously destroying the entire population of the earth with a parasite on his mobile.

Clearly you can't even begin to think about celebrating summer and friendship and America without stopping for ice cream.  From left to right: Kathy Seiler, Sarah Vespa, Maria Vespa, Cyndi Brandenburg, some dude, Joey Vespa.

And you can't expect to just stay at someone's house without earning your keep.  Here's a picture of some cruelly dilapidated old man cooking breakfast. I was ably assisted by Cyndi.  Initially I had proposed a sort of cook-off challenge between the two of us, but I was struggling with one of my wretched cluster headaches so we simplified the challenge: use as many of the things left in the refrigerator as possible.

We had an unexpected visitor, but luckily we had made enough breakfast for the Secret Service agents.


No comments: