Sunday, August 20, 2017

Visitors from the Deep South

It's odd.  For years it seemed like we never had any visitors, but suddenly the last couple years there's been a steady stream of friends who have made the sojourn north to see us in Vermont.  I'm assuming that this is partially me making a more concerted effort to be a more present friend, and to visit them, but also Vermont (aka the Yankee hellhole) is looking better and better as the rest of the country slips into an alt-right, crypto-fascist state (not that I have strong political beliefs or anything).  A month ago it was my friend Janan and her husband Kal, who were up in the area for their daughter's wedding.  We taught together for nine years at Georgia Perimeter College (nee DeKalb College) in Atlanta before a midlife crisis drove me north.  It was humbling, but also sweet, when we did the math and realized that we had known each other for twenty-six years.  Our offices were always right next to each other, and were always supportive friends through any number of personal and professional trials and tribulations.  It was wonderful to see them, and I think it's time for me to return the favor and head back to Atlanta for a visit.

Janan, who, cruelly, even after a quarter century, refuses to age.

Her husband, Kal, a very good soul.

Some old dude interrupted the festivities.


No comments: