Saturday, April 7, 2018

Books@Cafe

I'm still getting caught up on posts from the recent Jordan trip, so expect many more stories and pictures from an amazing trip.  Here's a picture and a quick post about our visit to Books@Cafe in Jordan.  I'd post more, but I ended up taking off for another adventure with one of my students (more on that soon).  In all of my trips to Amman I had never made it to Rainbow Street, which is a very cool and funky corner of the capital.  Books@Cafe is a great little bar and restaurant which is very gay friendly, and on Thursday nights Amman's only gay bar (or at least the only one I know about). It's got a great bookstore and an OK restaurant and a nice bar, and a pretty killer view of downtown Amman.  I almost ended up in Amman on my sabbatical year (and might on my next one) and I suspect that if I did I'd kill a lot of time at Books@Cafe. And across the street . . .

Our students were very happy - and surprised - with Books@Cafe.  I asked them, "Was it gay or bar that surprised you most?"  They said either separately, but especially the combination of the two.  I reminded them to not assume that they understand the Middle East from American media or popular culture.


No comments: