Saturday, April 7, 2018

Discography Year Two - Week 31

We're closing in on the last third of the second year of our Discography music discussion (stupid math).  Kevin and I are just back from a great trip to the Natti where we were able to spend time with the truly excellent Dave, Jack, Miranda and Nate - and commit caloric crimes that will still be told in wonder around the post-apocalyptic bonfires.  Allegedly, this means that I don't have another trip planned until late December.  Except that after conversations with the most excellent JS it's clear I need to head to Miami this summer.  Oh, and I just found a conference in Lisbon, Portugal scheduled for late May (hmmmmm).  I'm a different - and better - person when I'm travelling; similarly, I'm a different - and far better - person when you folks are in my life.

Oh, and here's a reminder that next week is our latest theme week.  Here, once again, are the directions as laid out by the esteemed Cyndi B:

"For the next thematic week, each of you will have to revisit the dark
recesses of your early adolescent brains.  As you enter those green
grimy walls hung with cobwebs, try to ignore the possibility that this
is what eternity looks like, and instead  focus on the treasure hunt
task at hand. Here is what you are looking for:

What were among the very first albums that you personally purchased
for yourself, probably in middle school or high school and in the form
of vinyl or CD?  What popular song(s) compelled you to make said
choices? And most importantly, what unknown song did you discover as a
result, as a cut buried deep, that proved to be the kind of hidden gem
that redeems your naive choice in ways that still make you happy?"


I already have my song chosen chosen.  Do you?


Dave Wallace

Iggy and the Stooges - Search and Destroy

 I recently watched Jim Jarmusch's very good documentary on the Stooges, Gimme Danger, which I would recommend for any fan of this seminal group.  Some have argued that the Stooges are the greatest rock band of all-time, and it's a pretty good argument.  With their songs, their sound, and their attitude, they epitomize rock music at its purest and most rebellious.  There are a bunch of great Stooges song and, for today's blog, I chose the lead song off their third, and last, album.



Kevin Andrews


One of my all-time favorite YouTube clips is from The Steve Allen Show in 1963 featuring a 22-year-old Frank Zappa purportedly playing a bicycle. The clip sets the table for his career as an Avant Garde composer. Frank’s music was often angry and topical, usually poking at America to pay attention. One of his songs, More Trouble Every Day, about the 1965 Watts riots became relevant again in 1992 after the Rodney King incident. This recording from 1973 also includes Son of Orange County, his “tribute” to our 37th president.

And in your dreams
You can see yourself
As a prophet
Saving the world
The words from you lips
(I am not a crook)
I just can't believe you are such
A fool

I just can't believe
You are such a fool

Both tunes show off his composing, arranging and his instrumental skills.


While I’m here, thank you to all of our Northern Kentucky, Southern Ohio comrades for an excellent time last weekend. Go see They Might Be Giants at the Madison Theater. It’s good for what ails you, assuming something ails you. I'll be making Goetta today thinking of you.


Phillip Seiler

Darlingside

Kathy and I were fortunate enough to see Darlingside this past Sunday at a sold out show in the Yankee Hellhole. Our lives are a massive pile of chaotic nonsense at the moment and it being a school night, there was some doubt if we could last through a whole concert on a Sunday. The opening act did little to alleviate that feeling.

But then Darlingside hit the stage and from the opening notes there was no doubt that we were in for the full show. These guys are the real deal with expert musicianship, stunning harmonies, and great stage presence. Each member takes a turn at the mic between songs and they all have distinct personalities that lend an intimate and amusing feel to the show. Who knew a story about lime-coconut-fish sauce sorbet and a bath towel could be so amusing?

I have included their newest single as performed live in a radio studio so you can see just how tight they are. But I will also link to the official music video because it is freaking adorable: https://youtu.be/cI6Le6Rs5gA The whole new album is a beautiful collection of songs with some dark themes. 


If these guys come to your town, make sure you make time to see them. I am still stunned tickets were only $14. We bought all the merch to show our love.


Dave Kelley

Given that Jason Isbell is currently my favorite artist both live and on record, it is odd that I have not used one of his songs on the blog.  I now make amends by using two that I find to be very complimentary of one another.


This the 1st love song he wrote about his wife the musician Amanda Shires.  It is very much about the beginning of their relationship.  He kicked booze and other substances to be with her.  Live, it is always so powerful when he sings, "but I sobered up, I swore off that stuff, forever this time."


In this amazing song, Isbell contemplates he and Amanda's mortality and the fact that the inevitability of death puts an expiration date on their love.  Some day one of them will have to walk alone.  


What really puts this song to the next level for me is the idea that life is made more beautiful by the fact that it ends. This is probably my favorite song of the last 5 years.


Gary Scudder

Lanterns on the Lake, If I've Been Unkind

Lanterns on the Lake is a British indie band that I promoted a few weeks back.  They're like some mashup of the Cure, the Smiths and Neko Case - or if Neil Young's Don't Let It Bring You Down existed as a separate universe.  They only have three full-length albums, and a couple EPs, and I recently downloaded their first album, Gracious Tide, Take Me Home, which also features I Love You, Sleepyhead. I don't know if I love them, but I'm starting to like them quite a bit (although this may just be the eternal mopey and self-absorbed teenage girl in me).  I was talking to someone recently about Islam and pointed out that small kindnesses are a huge part of the faith (which is why the former Cat Stevens calls his charity Small Kindnesses).  Essentially, on a day to day basis all the faith is is a series of opportunities to provide small kindnesses to others.  Or, as I opined the other day, life seems to me to be a sort of complicated and expansive Venn diagram where you share time and space with others.  That shared time and space might be geographically expansive and last for thirty years or it might constitute four square feet in a queue and a minute and a half.  Now, what are you going to do with that shared space and time?  And how are you going to make the other person's life better, even if only in the most fleeting of fashions?  As Muslims we may discuss an eye for an eye because of the connection to Judaism, but it's not actually something we believe in.  Rather, we are told repeatedly to return the worse with the better, and this is why small kindnesses are stressed.  That said, and at least to me, then the worst thing might be small unkindnesses.  I'm not a person with many regrets, actually, mainly because there haven't been many times when I actually said no to life. However, what tortures me are the memories of time when I have been unkind, even if only unintentionally.  I could have made that person's life better, even momentarily, and I didn't; I failed at one of the few things actually within my power.  Most of all I regret the times that I was unkind to my ex-wife and my son, two wonderful people who deserved something better than having me in their lives. I don't know if I was ever intentionally cruel, but in the process of becoming a very different person I know there were many times when I hurt them, and pain rendered rendered intentionally or unintentionally is still pain.  This all consistently leads me on an almost Proustian journey through my own past to reflect upon the times I've been unkind and ways that I could make up for it.


No comments: