Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Where Are They Registered?

I was attempting to clean up the desktop on my computer when I found this picture, which I had obviously saved there for just this occasion (and, of course, forgot about it). Obviously, it was snapped during last March's extraordinary trip to Jordan.  Our guide and friend Mahmoud was showing us around Petra - and in the process sharing more information than any guide I ever had on my previous seven trips down the Siq - and he pointed out a little corner which some scholars think was used by the Nabaeteans for wedding.  Here he is demonstrating with the help of my students Ines and Liza, who are clearly having way too much fun. The plan is to head back for a Thanksgiving trip in the fall of 2020 (and if we don't Ines and Liza and about fifteen other students are going to kill me).  Truthfully, I don't know if I can wait that long to get back to Jordan, the place I love the most.

I suspect that Ines and Liza's dream is that somehow the mock wedding ceremony was unintentionally/intentionally valid; they'd both happily be living with Mahmoud in the Wadi Rum . . .


No comments: