Thursday, September 19, 2019

What It Means - Day 185

"And say, 'It is the truth from your Lord! So whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve.'"
Quran 18:24

I don't normally have themes in the daily discussion of faith (it's usually whatever pops into my fevered brain that morning) but that last several have been based on the popular perception that Islam is a religion which has and is spread by forced conversion (or, as we would have said at the time, spread at the point of a sword), as compared to the reality that we are reminded repeatedly throughout the Quran that your decision has to be based on free will. Here is another reminder, this one drawn from the 18th surah, al-Kahf, "The Cave." I will have so much more to say about this particular surah because it's one that I find absolutely fascinating, and one that completely changed my perception of the Quran itself. At this point I'll just leave us with this reminder that while God may have an opinion of whether you believe or don't believe, it's nobody else's business.


No comments: