Saturday, April 9, 2022

Ramadan 2022

 We're now beginning the second week of Ramadan and by now I should have posted the official schedule for Vermont as produced by our one official mosque, the Islamic Society of Vermont. I know I've made this point before, but it's funny how knowing that you successfully navigated fasting during the month makes it easier. I ran into another Muslim professor on campus the other day and we were discussing how easy - well, not easy, actually, but at least not difficult - fasting is when you've done it for several years. To be fair, he was born and raised a Muslim so his relationship to Ramadan in particular and the faith in general is going to be different than mine. Previously I've discussed how hard, lonely and isolating, Ramadan is for new converts. They have no memories of happy family times which would paint the entire experience in a lovely glow; rather, they have a lot of fasting and time on their hands, which is especially true if they are the only Muslim in their family or set of friends. My ex showed very little interest in what I was doing and why, although, to be fair, she wasn't truly dreadful about it either. Still, there was no attempt to try, even on a minimal level, to incorporate it into the family routine, which left me feeling isolated and almost guilty about the decision to convert. Of course, I would have fought to make it a bigger part of our lives, but I'm not particularly good at that, so some of this is clearly my own fault. My present GF, although not a Muslim, is actually very interested in the process, and even has given me Ramadan gifts, which is a lovely gesture.

I've settled into a gentle fast, getting up at 4:30 and finishing my eating and drinking by 5:30, and then breaking my fast at the scheduled time (right now around 7:30 p.m.). This will leave me a little short of the actual required time of fasting, especially as the month progresses. Truthfully, I don't care, because, well, it's enough. Plus, and more importantly, when we make this out to be a purely physical, bodily endeavor we miss the point of Ramadan. Classically, we hope to get three things out of Ramadan: 1) teach ourselves patience, 2) teach ourselves self control, and 3) and remind ourselves that there are people hungry in the world, who are hungry not by choice. The most enjoyable and meaningful part of experience every year is the Quranic study and the time of self-reflection and meditation. I usually try to include some other reading as well, and this year it's Seyyed Nasr's Man and Nature: The Spiritual Crisis of Modern Man.  It's funny, Muslims will get a little annoyed when someone from outside the faith characterizes Ramadan as the month when Muslims fast because they think it over-simplifies and essentially mischaracterizes what it is about. That said, we're all too often guilty of the same crime. Brothers will come up and ask you if you're fasting but I've never had one ask how your Quranic study was going. Some brothers, more than simply some, would criticize you if they figured out that you were not getting in every moment of required fasting, as if God somehow is counting the minutes and is angry with you for your shortcomings. My answer, although gentler than this, is something like: "Are you kidding me? Do you know who you're talking about? Do you think God is that small?"




No comments: