Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Four Missing Decades

 I was talking to my old friend Bill earlier today (in the process pointing out to him that August will be the 45th anniversary of when we became friends) and I told him that I suddenly feel like I'm missing about four decades. It's not that I'm regretting what I didn't do, because I've done more in my lifetime than can be logically explained. Rather, my declining health has led to this almost cosmic feeling of disconnect. When I turned fifty I was very sad and pessimistic about the decade to come. Instead, it was an amazing ten year stretch where I spent so much time with friends, got engaged twice, and travelled all over the globe, and my health was great. Essentially, in my 50s I felt like I was living my 30s. Almost exactly after I turned sixty my health took a turn for the worse, and suddenly I feel now like I expected to feel in my 80s. So, I feel like I'm suddenly missing several decades. So, if you find them could you drop me a line. That said, I'm not giving up and the doctors continue to test away (yes, of course, I would love a third EMG - another MRI, this time with dye - a biopsy of muscle - sure, why not? This sounds great!!). I have a lot more living to do so my body better sort itself out.

Still, this guy looks awfully happy (if weather-beaten). Janet snapped the picture in Porto on the afternoon I asked her to marry me. Fortunately, and happily, she said yes.



No comments: