Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Budapest Metro System

Just a few minutes because I am running off to meetings at Corvinus University (the former Karl Marx University, but more on that later). Budapest, like the rest of Europe apparently, has a great public transportation system. It is easy to figure out, even if you don't speak Hungarian (and no one speaks Hungarian). That said, I have doubts if OSHA would be so impressed with the system. I was riding the other night thinking that the subway trains just seemed to be travelling faster than the metro trains anyplace else I have ever ridden, and boy those cars do bounce up and down a lot. The stations themselves are very clean and look new, even though it is supposed to be one of the oldest metro systems in all of Europe. The cars, on the other hand, are pretty rundown. What struck me was the fact that the escalators that connect the different lines have to be the fastest and steepest escalators I have ever seen anyplace. Naturally enough, after thinking this, the other night I was riding up a steep escalator when suddenly out of the corner of my eye I see someone falling down the down escalator next to me. Falling does not do it justice really - it was somewhere between flying and the opening sequence of the skier from Wide World of Sports going head over heels. He eventually ended up a crumpled mess on the stairs and the last I saw of him he was not moving - just gently travelling down the escalator. He was surrounded by other commuters who were looking after him and the metro officials were hurrying to his aid - and I am sure, sadly, that they are well-versed in the process. So, definitely visit Budapest, but definitely hold on tight to the rail on the metro.

No comments: