Monday, October 1, 2007

Vienna and Museums

While my struggles with the Internet keep me from posting any pictures (I will try to get some posted later in the week) I do want to take the opportunity to at least write about some of the things I saw in Vienna and now Budapest. Vienna is really starting to grow on me. While it is more sombre than Madrid, although most of the world would fall into that category I guess, it does have a definite charm. It does a pretty good job of balancing out the modern with the ancient. It certainly feels like a new city, but it is also awash in history. If you like museums, and, come on, what nerd doesn't (obviously, I am talking about other folks because I am completely cool - OK we all know what a big lie that is) then Vienna is a great city for you. While they are spread out over the city, there is a healthy concentration of them in the Hofburg. The Hofburg is the old imperial palace of the Habsburgs, or it might be better to say palaces. The grounds are extensive, including numerous massive statues of leaders like Maria Theresa and the ubiquitous Hercules. I visited the Albertina because they were having an exhibit of Monet and Picasso, although neither of them would naturally draw me through the door. On my last trip to Vienna I visited the same museum because they were having a Picasso exhibit, so the person who runs the Albertina must really like Picasso. As it turns out this particular exhibit didn't actually have that many Monets or Picassos, but if it gets folks through the door . . . That said, I've now decided to rename the Global Module project as the Global Monet and Picasso Project and see what it does to the walk-up traffic. Of course, my decision to change the title of my dissertation from The Tudor Concept of National Security to Love's Savage Fury: The Turdor Concept of National Security never did lead to that movie deal . . .

Last year I also visited another museum at the Hofburg which featured an eclectic collection of ancient musical instruments, medieval armor, and material from the ancient site at Ephesus (where the Austrians have been digging for a hundred years). I had a great time and was tempted to go again, but instead decided to visit the culture and history museum, which is also part of the Hofburg grounds. It had a wonderful collection of Egyptian, Greek and Roman material, including an amazing display of Roman jewelry - which goes to show you just never know what you will find amazing on any given day. I would not have bet a tired dime that a display of Roman jewelry would be fascinating, but it truly was. The same museum had an extensive art museum including over forty Peter Paul Rubens paintings. They also had an extensive collection of medieval paintings. For all the failings of the Hotel Wandl (apparently my home away from home - I am passing through it three different times on this trip) it is only about four blocks from the Hofburg, which makes for great museum viewing.

No comments: