Saturday, May 30, 2009

If you want a good burger . . .

. . . be sure to try the Intercontinental Hotel Dubai Festival Village. Granted, it's not my usual choice, which tends to focus on places like the Turf Club in Cincinnati or Mike's Bar and Grill in Franklin, Indiana, but I had a great burger last night through sheer exhaustion. I was at the conference all day and then took the bus back to the hotel, worked out, and then went for a swim. By the time that was over it was around 8:00 and I was thinking about grabbing a shower and going out to get something, but just didn't have the energy (I'm not sleeping very well). So, I just ordered a burger by the pool. It turned out to be fantastic - nicely cooked, with cheese and lots of grilled onions, some veal strips masquerading as bacon (as is the tradition in the Middle East), and a fried egg on top, The egg reminded me of my fraternity days, when Scudder-generated egg burgers were all the rage. Of course, this is the problem with foreign travel - my normally healthy life style goes straight to hell. Of course, I suppose the burger should have been good, because if you throw in a Coke and a tip it was around $30 - welcome to Dubai.

1 comment:

KBL said...

I was always a little frightened of Mike's Bar and Grill when I was growing up...however, I learned to love it in college. ;)

How can an egg on a hamburger taste good? I'm beginning to wonder about you.