Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kuwait Rock City

OK, I've made it to Kuwait City without too many problems. I'm not a real big fan of Kuwait Air Ai the food was pretty sub-par and the crew seemed to always have a chip on their shoulders about something - it's like once you got beyond a certain point they were OK, but that their initial response was to over react to every question or request (as if they were intended as an insult - of course, it could also just be the horror of dealing with ugly Americans on a daily basis). Of course, it might have just been the fact that during all quiet moments they played elevator music versions of "You Were Always on My Mind" and "You're the Wind Beneath My Wings.". On the London-Kuwait trip I sat next to a nice Indian woman named Jasmine Singh, who grew up in Kuwait and is a Sophomore at Iowa State University. Kuwait, like the UAE, has a large subcontinent population.

Ray Weisborn and Mark Olson from the Gulf University of Science & Technology picked up at the airport. Then they took me to Applebee's because it was convenient. Kuwait has a ton of American chain franchises, including a series of the largest Burger Kings I've ever seen. I'm staying at the Ritz Salmiya which is pretty nice, although there is no pool or exercise facility, so I should have worked through the painyesterday and lifted weights - I have missing workouts. I'll know more tomorrow about Kuwait when I might it over to GUST.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you made it! So sorry to hear about the bike incident. Hope you heal up quickly. Take Care!

The Sheck said...

"If anyone ever hears me talk about working out again please feel free to dope slap me."

How quickly you forget.

Glad you've arrived. Take pictures. Write lots.

KBL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KBL said...

Um, you're sure you're not in Indiana. Right?

wanderlust said...

Glad you made it safe and sound. Are you sure it was an Appleby's and not a TGI Fridays they took you to? Your spelling near the end reads like you had a few too many blended mudslides. Haha. I think if you were working out you'd pull a stitch. I can see it now...

Unknown said...

Thank goodness you hit Applebee's - can't imagine a trip overseas without that!

Stitches...WTF!!

Unknown said...

Kuwait is a beautiful city. You cant miss the kuwait messila beach, Failaka Island, very famous Zoological Gardens. for more details refer Travel To Kuwait City

jsingh89 said...

Gary! I just stumbled across your blog!

Hope you are doing well :)