Sunday, June 28, 2009

Klagenfurt

As I begin to get caught up with the China stories I guess I need to keep the thread going with what I'm doing right now. After my three train journey from the wilds of Slovakia, through Bratislava and Vienna, I made it safely to Klagenfurt, although I did fall asleep and literally woke up sitting at the Klagenfurt station - and the train only stops for two minutes - and the Austrian trains are completely and totally on time - so I had to grab everything and jump off the train in a hurry. I'm staying at the Goldener Brunnen Hotel here in Klagenfurt, where I stayed about three years ago. Tomorow I have a series of meetings with representatives from Klagenfurt University, which is one of the first places I ran GMs with, and which, after a period of quiet, have suddenly popped up and are interested in expanding our connections. Klagenfurt is an immacutely clean town Austrian town. It is known for its dragon history, and there are lots of statues of dragons including one of Hercules fighting a dragon which is in the central square. It is supposed to be Hercules, but, appropriately enough, it looks much more like a bourgeois Austrian merchant - think of a middle class watch repairman who stepped out of his shop to fight a dragon. It's a very nice town and I went for a long walk this afternoon, trying to figure out where there might be somewhere to work out. Along the way I was propositioned by an exotic dancer, which was both a first for me and not exactly the workout I was looking for.

No comments: