Monday, February 22, 2010

Reflections on Things at Hand: McDonalds in India


OK, so, as I've pointed out, I never actually go to McDonalds here in the States, but almost always make one trip to a McDonalds in every country when I'm overseas - I don't know whether its just general perversity or a desire to get a reminder of home. And, as I've stated before, a Big Mac meal always costs the same, whether it is in forints or shillings or dirhams or yuan. The biggest difference being that the $4.50 is much dearer in the other country, and is actually almost a status symbol as compared to a cheap lunch out. I'd heard that the beef in McDonalds sandwiches is a lot worse overseas, but I've never really noticed that - a Big Mac is a Big Mac is a Big Mac, which may or may not be a compliment, I suppose. Obviously, its a little different in India because you can't have beef in your Big Mac (just like you can't have pork in your Cincinnati style chili at the Chili House in Amman). Here's a nice sign from a McDonalds in India, which expresses the creativity of a beef-less burger.

No comments: