Sunday, February 21, 2010

Reflections on Things at Hand: My Dad's Birthday




As I discussed earlier, my father went with me for the first week and a half of the summer (2004) I spent teaching in India. He loved his time there, and has talked constantly of trying to get back - his daughter Annie really wants to recreate the train ride that we took across India. My Indian friends, naturally, treated him like royalty and could not have been kinder. While we were there he celebrated his birthday, and, of course, the Indians threw a party for him. The cake, no doubt arranged by dear friend Raj (a scoundrel with a heart of gold - more on Raj later), was supposed to have been a gift from Bollywood, the Indian film industry. A constant joke was that my dad would get hired off the street by some Bollywood agent to play a bad guy in a film (it does actually happen to visiting Americans occasionally). Hopefully we'll make it back there again. I've only been back once since that summer, and, obviously, I'm missing India.

No comments: