Friday, February 12, 2010

Reflections on Things at Hand: Shop Around the Corner




Don't know why India is consuming my thoughts so thoroughly lately - mainly because I was so happy there. Anyway, I was reflecting on my daily life in my little apartment and immediately thought of the little shop where I did most of my shopping. It was about half a block of the street, and they could not have been nicer. That said, they did try and sell me everything in the store every time I walked in, and considering that I'm a large westerner I don't know if I can blame them. I would ask them for certain items, and then the guy behind the counter would just start grabbing things off the counter and asking me if I wanted them - some times there was a certain logic to the request, and sometimes he would just randomly grab things and ask if I were interested. One time he reached behind him and grabbed an items that normally only pertains to women and asked if I wanted to buy one (the box) - and then he realized what he had picked up - and he just smiled so big and sheepishly put it back - and then grabbed something else. It was a daily Monty Python routine with a small, Indian Michael Palin behind the counter.

No comments: