Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Planned Parenthood of Zambia





Walking back today along Church Road I came across a couple interesting sites, both relating, at least indirectly, to the HIV/AIDS problem. According to some research I did before I took off I think the HIV/AIDS rate in Zambia stands around 10%, and it is such a problem that the life expectancy here is only around forty years. However, much as I saw in Kenya, they aren't ignoring the problem because it is an unpleasant topic - although, to be fair, with a problem this big I guess it's difficult to ignore it. I passed by a chapter of the Planned Parenthood of Zambia, this one the Rachael Lumpa Memorial Reproductive Health Centre. I'm including a couple pictures of the services offered, which were prominently displayed along the street. About a block away there was a church which made AIDS prevention and testing a major part of their millennium program. The popular perception in the US is that the African churches are very conservative (at least as compared to their American counterparts), but obviously it's not that simple.

1 comment:

saynsumthn said...

For a real eye opening look at Planned Parenthood and why they are in African Nations- watch the 2.5 hour documentary: Maafa21 Black Genocide in 21st Century America. This film is stunning and was researched from the records of Planned Parenthood. It shows how racism is a huge motive behind the legalization of abortion - LIMIT BLACK BIRTHS !

Preview the film: Maafa21 here: http://www.maafa21.com