Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Another Goodbye



On a previous post I suggested that this was going to be a year of goodbyes, and, unfortunately, I'm right. Here's a picture of my good friend and ex-student Ericka Bundy who just left Vermont to move to Austin, Texas. She's one of my all-time favorite students - mainly because of her complete disassociation of what time meant. I normally threaten students with immediate, painful death if they're late (unless they bring me donuts or cookies), but Bundy was so utterly charming and otherworldly about the entire thing that I could never get too mad at her (although I did on one occasion draw two clock-faces on the board to explain the difference between real time and Bundy-time, a story which she still tells with relish). Ericka has been a great friend to both me and my son and we'll both miss her. She's a person of tremendous courage who has overcome some monumental challenges - I am really proud of her accomplishments, and also proud to call her my friend. I'm posting a picture of the day we helped her get packed. The fellow holding the pizza is also named Scudder, although it is his first name - which I've never seen except for Vermont, wherein I now know of two people with Scudder as a first name. If you ever take the bike ferry out to the islands you'll get the chance to meet him (a prince among good fellows). There's also a picture of Ericka's three-legged cat Moe, who she called me to help drive to the cat chiropractor last April first - and, in classic Vermont fashion, it wasn't an April Fool's Day joke.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE YOU GARY!!! I will miss our breakfasts commiserating over the state of the world and our love lives. You are an amazing man who has inspired me to do great things with my life. Thank you for teaching me about the world and your friendship.
Now send me the damn letter of recommendation! LOL!!!
XOXOXO
Ericka