Saturday, August 14, 2010

Life in Vermont: Blueberry Picking







I have been getting a lot of abuse lately from the more politically unstable members of the community (that is, my close friends) for becoming an unabashed Vermonter - and this posting is not going to help my cause. Something that all Vermonters seemingly love to do is go blueberry picking, and after a decade of fighting this particular residency requirement I finally caved a couple Sundays back. My good friend Mike picked me up and we traveled into the intervale to Adam's Berry Farm. The nice woman behind the stand where we picked up our containers ($3.50 a piece for filling them up) explained the different variety of blueberries and her advice was to focus on the Nelsons. Mike had his own theories, as is his wont, but after trying several different varieties we settled on the Nelsons. My two containers, which were supposed to last long enough for me to get to the store to buy some vanilla ice cream to enjoy them with, were, naturally, completely consumed, by hand and unadorned, within two days. So, yes, I admit it - this was another very cool Vermonty thing which I thoroughly enjoyed.

2 comments:

KBL said...

This makes me wish blueberry season lasted longer that the five minutes it does in early June here....;)

Gary Scudder said...

Yeah, it was really nice. For some reason I came to blueberries very late in life - I don't ever remember eating them growing up (my dad is not a big fruit guy so we never had much around the house).